Waterpump fitment issues

Unfortunately the paint didn’t stick to the head and flaked off. I jetwashed the paint off re-painted, using etch primer this time.

Whilst waiting for it to dry, I tackled the waterpump. Immediately, I had an issue where the inlet seemed to foul the block. I wasn’t sure if I was torqueing the pump against the face of the block or against the inlet flange/block.

I checked the pump on the original engine (that I was just going to re-use), and this had a relief cut out in that area.

I checked the original waterpump from the mk2.5 engine and this had the same relief. That was (presumably) a genuine Mazda waterpump, but the one I fitted to the mk1 engine was aftermarket. This one without the relief was also aftermarket, so I presume they hadn’t bothered with the relief to save on costs. Maybe it is ok, but I’m not happy with it so am returning it.

I picked up a replacement from my local motor factors and it was fine.

Replacement pump at bottom

Replacement pump at bottom

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Performance upgrades, Problems. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s