Yes, the engine is finally fitted! I had intended to do a few other bits first, namely painting the gearbox, replacing the rear oil seal and turret seal (again, on the gearbox) and modifying the sump. In the end, I had run out of things to do at the back of the car and so I was just wasting time. I could do all of those jobs with the engine in situ.
Fitting was pretty straight forward really. I didn’t need to lift the car at all.
Here’s why the sump really needs to be modified:
I expect the bracket doesn’t match the chassis and the holes in the chassis are the same whatever engine is fitted.
The tunnel top panels will also need some attention. The gear lever is in neutral here:
In other areas, here’s the current pedal arrangement:
As you can see, the brake and clutch are ridiculously far forward of the accelerator pedal. There’s adjustment left on the brake, but the bar is hitting the clutch pedal. I’m hoping if I chop 8mm off the clutch pedal bar, it should line up nicely. The clutch pedal is currently sitting in front of the foot rest!
So, with the engine in, I have a bit more sorely needed space in the garage. I’ve also got the opportunity to fit a lot more stuff, this giving me back more space. My current plan is to shift everything at the side of the garage to the back. Then, I can put the car in the middle and lift it on axle stands as I won’t need to move it again.
As far as I can see, I’m still on track for a March completion!